Juggling clinical and academic work
Dividing your time between clinical and academic work can be challenging.
- Keep both your clinical and academic supervisors ‘in the loop’.
- Let them know well in advance about:
- deadlines (grants, exams)
- periods of absence (conference attendance, workshops)
- ARCP requirements (academic and clinical)
- Decide how you will divide your time. Monitor whether you are achieving this (keep a log of time spent on each).
- Set yourself clinical and academic goals. Monitor whether you are making progress in both areas.
- Be flexible: recognise and accept that there will be times when you will need to focus more on one than the other.
- Ensure that you have both a clinical and academic mentor / role model.